Friday, June 22, 2007

So hey, true story (meaning a fairly dull one, so skip this blurb if you're not in the mood), me and my gal Kim were doing some random sketching one day and she asked me if I knew anything about drawing giant robots/mechs. I had to pause for a second and tell her, "nope, not a thing". Wasn't that an interesting story?

Thing is, I haven't been asked that particular question since high school, and my answer for each time was the same. I just couldn't draw the damn things well, which doesn't bother me more than the fact that I never really tried. And not just with robots either, a lot of mechanical type things. Vehicles especially.

So I feel guilty about it, yet also empowered, inspired. It means that on the rare times I do draw anything mechanical, I feel the need to push myself and try different approaches and directions in drawing them. So, that's cool, right?

Well, here's an attempt at just that. I've been watching a couple of episodes of some of the more recent Transformers cartoons to get down some ideas from those cool designs. I also watched Beast Wars to see those robotic designs that really needed to work in 3-dimensional space. Well partially. I watched Beast Wars because it's an awesome show, really.

I had a lot of fun sketching Prime, so I think I'll keep at it for a while. Of course at one point I'll have to draw him as a truck. *shudder*

No comments: